Thursday, July 7, 2011

So it's been a while since i put up a post. In that time, I've been through losing friends, making new 'frenemies' and making new friends, all happening oddly simultaneously what with my move to a different part of the country and having to start over, as well as, adapt to a new environment and meet a new group of people.

 'Happy New Year' all! Yes, it's been that long. There's more to be expected from my more recent blog posts, my writing will take a new turn, in that it will maintain its humour in certain parts, however, a bit more mature both in structure and synthesis. I've been forced to grow up you see, not really liking it, but what can i say? It's  one of the many beautiful things that come with having African parents, better yet, West African parents, yes people, I'm blessed! (sigh)

So since the last time i wrote, i got the opportunity to proof-read two scripts to the biography of a wonderful man, Dr Wallace Mgoqi, who happens to be one of those that fought for the freedom of South Africa's black population during the apartheid years, in the sector of town and regional planning. His story was indeed a great read and definitely inspiring too. As an 18 year old getting such an opportunity, it was indeed a highlight for me especially since i got amazing reviews from his publisher.

I started my first year at the University of Pretoria, it's been all well and good, except i think that the school is like a reaper, you know, wanting to take my soul like those spooky things you see in horror movies and think, 'this doesn't happen in reality', you're wrong, it does, I'm a witness to its occurrence. When a graduate friend of mine told me, "U.P is like a man that tells you you think you're smart huh? you think you're going to breeze through this? well, I plan to make you aware that you are nothing!" little did i know he spoke the truth and was not exaggerating. So yes, it's been very hectic, but I'm adapting and with hard work and a lot of trust placed in God comes good benefits and i look forward to this in my next semester.

I got to visit a shelter for children, which enables them to have an avenue in which they can be helped out with their homework and also given snacks after school. According to the supervisor, this became necessary as it was noticed that most of these children either came from homes where their parents were single and worked many jobs to get food on the table, or were single young teenage mothers who were still children themselves. It was a mind blowing experience as three of the girls sang 'Baby' a song made popular by the world's favourite nice haired teen, Justin Bieber. They also had really big dreams as many of them wanted to be presidents, doctors, singers and models.I discovered also that when speaking to children, it's ok to say you're studying money in order to avoid very unrelated questions.





In my time away, I've learnt that girls are indeed really stressful beings, and i think i may be sticking to having more guy friends than i do girls. So, i shall be confining myself to talks about alcohol, parties,computer games, sports, God and girls since that's all guys ever seem to talk about but at least you know you've got bodyguards if anyone did ever try anything with you, you could just holler!

Plans for the next semester include, getting way better grades than i did in my last semester so, i shall be living in the library. Also, my quest to take over the world is still very much in tact, i might be joining a musical band consisting of a fellow rapper, Mzwa, and  a singer/instrumentalist, Craig. We're looking for a group name so any suggestions are welcome and I'll let you know how it all goes.

So far, one thing that doesn't seem to change is the fact that the learning never stops. I fall once in a while but the beauty of life is in getting up and not letting your experiences get you down, or worse yet, lose hope and faith in yourself. So, i charge you to get happy no matter what it is that's happening at this very moment in your life, yes, even if it entails cheating on that diet of yours, do what makes you happy!

Ok, i feel like I've said too much, but can you blame me? It's been too long and i missed blogville.:) Have a blessed day guys.

Bonjour!

No comments:

Post a Comment